Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Chicks and Chips for Dinner

Well, by "chicks" I mean eggs, but that title was just so catchy sounding.

Hard-boiled Egg Tomato Salad and Sweet Potato Chips with an Avocado-Tomato Dip:

I was looking through my "Forks Over Knives" book that has a bunch of vegan recipes in it and stumbled upon the recipe for "Joey's Lifesaving Sweet Potato Chips". They really are lifesaving and extremely easy to make. All you need is, well, a sweet potato.
The recipe also recommended using a tomato-avocado dip, so I looked up a simple and few-ingredient dip. I found this recipe and altered it just a bit. I also made it into 1 serving size. You could make more and save it for later though ^___^. I might do that later...

Then, I put together a random salad that contains a hard-boiled egg that I made earlier in the day. Hard-boiled eggs are great snacks or additions to a meal, so it's a great idea to make a few of these at a time so you can have one later on in the day or week for an easy and accessible snack. ^___^
I'm still new at making hard-boiled eggs, so it was a bit undercooked and a little difficult to get the shell to come off clean. If you don't know how to make one, now you do.

Okay! Let's make this thing.

Sweet Potato Chips Ingredients:
- ¼ Sweet Potato

Salad Ingredients:
- 1 cup spinach
- ¼ big tomato
- 1 hard-boiled egg
- Black Pepper
- A tiny bit of salt
- 2 Broccoli trees (I like to call them trees.)

Avocado-Tomato Dip
- ½ Avocado
- ¼ Big Tomato
- 1 slice onion
- ½ tsp Lemon Juice (¼ of a lemon)
- Black Pepper
- Garlic

Edit: I tried the dip without adding any lemon and definitely preferred the taste.

Let's start by heating the sweet potato chips since they take a bit longer to cook. The cooking time will vary per microwave. In Joey's recipe, he recommended to cook them for 7 minutes. I started with 5 minutes to be safe and then added more time after that.

Sweet Potato Chips Directions:
1) Cut the Sweet potato into thin slices.
2) Put in a bowl and microwave for 5 minutes.
3) I took the 2 broccoli trees and added them to the sweet potato chips and microwaved them together for 2 more minutes to save time. However, if you want your chips more crispy, microwave the chips and broccoli separately.
4) Microwave additional time until desired consistency. As Joey said in his recipe, they won't be as crispy as chips, but they will be stiff enough to use in the dip.

While the sweet potato chips are cooking...


Salad Directions:
1) Wash and cut the spinach.
2) Cut the tomato into slices.
3) Cut the Hard-boiled egg into slices.
4) Arrange the 3 ingredients and sprinkle with Black Pepper and a little bit of salt.

Avocado-Tomato Dip Directions:
1) Mince the tomato and onion.
2) Put the avocado half, lemon juice (see Note), and minced tomato and onion in a bowl together.
3) Mash together.
4) Add black pepper and garlic to taste.
 1)
 2)
 3)

Note: In order to get the lemon juice, I recommend squeezing the lemon to get the juice in a separately bowl. This way, you don't have to worry about fishing out the seeds that pop out in your dip ^___^.

Garlic was a huge addition to the flavor on this dip. You can pick up a little bottle right at Daiso and it lasts a long time. Add it to steamed veggies, salads, dips, anything! Except maybe bananas. Yeah, probably not to bananas.

After a meal, I love having a little something sweet. I picked up some 72% Dark Chocolate earlier in the day and it was the perfect way to end the meal. Oh, that and tea! I sliced off some of the lemon that was left over to add some flavored flare.

AwWWwww YeaaAHhhh! I hope you guys like this recipe as much as I did. If you didn't feel full after, I recommend adding another boiled egg or another cup of spinach, both great sources of protein =^.^=.

Also, I plan on posting some snack recipes soon as requested! =^.^=

1 comment:

  1. You should probably end every recipe with a different chocolate/tea pairing...

    ReplyDelete